I was born in Taplow, England. When I was four years old we moved to Croesyceiliog, South Wales where I lived until I moved with my family to Canada in the mid seventies.
My passion for art and the natural world began early with country walks in the hills and valleys of the Welsh countryside. One of my first paintings was put on an easel outside my primary school classroom. This early exposure was the ideal foundation for my love of nature and art.
I spent much of the eighties in Victoria, BC attending Camosun College and the University of Victoria where I studied psychology, sociology and elementary education. Most of my electives were art courses as I concentrated my studies in art education for elementary teaching.
I then moved to Northern BC where I taught primary school children for 25 years. I am now retired and make my home in Qualicum Beach, BC.
Seen here is a collection of unique, highly textured paintings with a rich palette of colour. Many of my works are of west coast tidal zones, cross sectional earthy striations, and 'Big Sky' paintings all with distinctly textured surfaces. Some pieces have muted earthy tones while others offer a slight 'mica' twinkle.
I like my own home to feel warm, inviting and interesting, so I create paintings to decorate and enrich my surroundings. Good design, home decor, and texture are all essential to me as I plan my paintings, The rich textures found in the natural world constantly inspire me. I carefully incorporate natural objects into my paintings such as small shells, seeds, plants and roots. I use 'air dry clay' to form small pebbles and sea crustaceans. I create my paintings with a palette of 'natural' and 'earthy' colours combined with interesting highly textured surfaces. My work reflects a feeling of warmth, blended with the rich textures found in nature.
Showing my paintings at 'The Old School House' (TOSH) art gallery in Qualicum Beach, BC February 1, 2017
'Undercurrent' 15" x 30" Mixed media.
Acrylic on canvas.
- Active member of The Federation of Canadian Artists and the Arrowsmith Chapter of the FCA
- Won 'People’s Choice Award' with ‘Tidelines’ at The Dawson Creek Art Gallery, Summer 2014
- Joint show in The Dawson Creek Art Gallery titled ‘Earth’, May 2015
- Presented a 2 day workshop for 20 Northern BC artists, December 2015
- Two pieces juried into the FCA Fall Art Exhibition, October 2016 in Qualicum Beach (TOSH)
- Joint show at Art Gallery in Qualicum Beach (TOSH) January 30, 2017 to February 18, 2017
- Three pieces juried into the FCA Spring Art Exhibition, at The Old School House (TOSH) Spring 2017
- Won 'Peoples Choice Award' with 'First Frost' at The Old School House', (TOSH) Spring 2017
- Show in the 'Oceanside Gallery' at the McMillan Arts Centre, (the MAC) in Parksville, BC January 16 - February 24, 2018